Archive for February, 2015
There was a great turnout for our annual chili cook-off held at the Co-op! Ten chilis were entered in the contest and all were delicious and different! What a time we had determining the winner but in the end, new member Carol Miller White took home the prized Championship apron. Diane Bradley was first runner-up and Steve Bean was second runner-up. Steve was overheard saying he has begun planning his 2016 chili for next year – he wants that Championship apron! Congratulations to the winners and to all the entrants for a fine chili evening!
Chef Larry invites you to join him at the Co-op after church on Sunday, February 8th for a soup and sandwich lunch for only $5. These small lunches are going to be offered once per month over the winter as a way to extend your after church socializing opportunity for an hour or so. See you at 12:15 for lunch!
Join us Monday, February 9th from 10:30 – 1:30 pm, for Internet Café – an opportunity to get some assistance with your various devices. Now that the Co-op has free WiFi access we can connect with all your wireless devices. Bring your laptops, smart phones, tablets and eReaders and we will work together to get you going on them. Specific classes can be arranged once the needs are determined. Fee: $2. For information please email the Ryde Co-op
Show all of your special valentines some love! Bring the whole family to Chef Larry’s special Valentine Buffet Brunch! A Ryde Co-op first! Tickets are available at the Summerland General Store. Tickets will go fast, so pick yours up today! Doors will open at 11:30 am. If still available, tickets will be sold at the door. Members: $15, non-members: $25.
It may be the shortest month, but Chef Larry is treating us right! With events like this to get us through the winter, we don’t want to be snowbirds! Roast Turkey with all the trimmings! Don’t walk – run to the Summerland General Store to pick up your tickets. Doors will open at 5:00 pm. If still available, tickets will be sold at the door. Members: $10, non-members: $15.
The Ryde Co-op is pleased to be continuing our Sustainable Living Workshops in partnership with the District of Muskoka. Please register in advance by phoning a Director or by emailing the Ryde Co-op Note: All Workshops: $10 for members, $15 for non-members
- March 8th ~ Cook Once, Eat for a Week
Chef Larry will be demonstrating how to stretch your grocery budget over several meals by choosing ingredients that can be put together in different ways to create many meals. Taste samples of the meals will be provided. By spending one day preparing and cooking, you can have food ready in your freezer for future meals. If there is sufficient interest, another workshop will be offered where participants will make meals to take home.
- March 22nd ~ Straw Bale Construction
It may be cold and blustery outside but those cozy inside a well-built straw bale home are keeping warm and well this winter! Interested in learning more about building with straw and other natural materials? Members of the Fourth Pig Worker Co-op (green and natural construction) will talk about straw bale construction and natural plasters and show photos of homes built and renovated to be energy efficient, healthy and beautiful. We will also discuss some tips to make your own home more energy efficient and bring samples of some healthier materials.
- April 12th ~ Blending Teas and Tinctures
Noted herbalist Penelope Beaudrow will introduce us to the wonderful world of herbal teas and tinctures. Learn to create your own inexpensive blends, and the medicinal uses of teas. Penelope will teach us to extract essential plant properties through various methods; teas, tinctures, vinegars and oils. There will be samples to enjoy and take home.
- April 26th~ Making More Soap
Welcome back Jonathan Bullock who will be teaching us how to make our own soap! There is a $20 materials fee but you will be taking home the soap that you make. Bring rubber gloves, & safety glasses, as we will be using lye. Also bring something disposable made of silicone, glass or plastic to use as a mold for your soap.
- Bid Euchre – Every Wednesday at the RCC from 1 pm.
- VON SMART Exercise program – Every Monday & Wednesday starting at 9:30 am. Note: Cancelled for Family Day Feb 16th
- WISE Seniors’ Clubhouse – Every second & fourth Friday from 12:30 pm – 3 pm. $3/person
- Tai Chi and Qigong – Every Thursday – 10:30 – 11:30 am – $2
- Internet Café – Feb, 9th – 10:30 – 1:30 pm – $2
- Soup and Sandwich Lunch – Feb. 8th – 12:15 – 1:15 pm. $5 at the door.
- Valentine Brunch Buffet – Feb 14th – 12:30 pm – $15 Members Tickets will be available at Summerland at the end of January.
- Roast Turkey Dinner – Feb 28th – 5:30 pm – $10 Members Tickets will be available at Summerland at the beginning of February.
- Soup and Sandwich Lunch – Mar. 8th – 12:15 – 1:15 pm. $5 at the door.
- Sustainability Workshop “Cook Once, Eat for a Week” with Chef Larry – Mar. 8th 1 to 3 pm. Advance registration required – 705-687-2406
- Stew Dinner – Mar 21st – 5:30 pm – $10 members. Tickets will be available at Summerland at the beginning of March.
- Sustainability Workshop “Straw Bale Construction” – Mar. 22nd 1 to 3 pm. Advance registration required – 705-687-2406
The Ryder was brought to you this month by:
the Ryde Free Methodist Church
Please click image to enlarge.