Archive for October, 2015
A familiar face will soon be seen less often on the roads in Ryde! Our wonderful mail carrier of many years will be hanging up her delivery bag this month and starting a well deserved retirement. Roz, your many friends here in Ryde are going to miss seeing you doing your rounds and we all wish you the very best retirement!
Join us Saturday, October 3rd at 7 pm for an evening of folk, gospel and other great music. Bring your instrument or just come and enjoy. Families are welcome. Admission is for members only but new members are always welcome. Memberships will be available for $10 at the door. Light refreshments will be available. Jams will be scheduled for the first Saturday of every month until April. For more information, please call Brian Gowanlock at 705-329-4010.
Chef Larry is preparing our first ever Oktoberfest Feast on October 17th starting at 5:30 pm! Bratwurst, German Potato Salad and sauerkraut are on the menu along with other tasty items. We could use some help with desserts for that evening. Do you have a favourite German dessert you would be willing to bake for this dinner? Please let Jennie know by calling 705-687-5234 or emailing the Ryde Co-op. Note that tickets will be available in advance only until October 15th from Summerland General Store. $10 for members and $15 for non-members.
As the days grow shorter and chillier, don’t be tempted to go into hibernation. Join the dynamic members of the SMART fitness class! It is a balanced and tested, safe and effective program that gets results! Free for those 55 and over thanks to funding from the local LHIN, the VON and supported by the Ryde Co-op. Note: No class on Thanksgiving Monday.
Monday, October 19th is the day we get to do what many people are fighting for around the world. The Ryde Co-op will be a polling station. The VON SMART fitness classes will be held in the other room this day.
Thanks to support and funding from the OACAO and the Seniors Secretariat, we are once again offering a free day of services, food and great information on October 15th from 10 am until 2 pm.
- Are you ready for a winter emergency?
- Do you have the latest information about Alzheimer’s disease?
- Are you getting all of the tax credits that you are entitled to?
Ryde is your one-stop destination for expert advice on over 15 topics. Chef Larry will prepare a free lunch, and there will be goodie bags! Plan to join us for this great event. There will be free transportation from Downtown Gravenhurst from the Womens’ Centre. Here is the tentative schedule of speakers:
|Karen Quemby||Alzheimers: An Update||11:00 AM|
|MOF||Tax Benefits: Get Your Money||11:30 AM|
|EMS||Winter Emergency Safety||12:30 PM|
|Shelly Raymond||Solterra/CARP||1:00 PM|
|Door Prizes||1:30 PM|
The Fresh Food Basket program is offered to us through the District of Muskoka. It promotes good nutrition and good value. Please pay at the Summerland General Store before Tuesday, September 29th, with the pick up on Thursday, October 8th. Thanks to everybody who supports this program, but especially Ron and Carrie! Here is a downloadable schedule: Fresh Food Basket Ryde 2015-2016
The Seniors Programs and Services Team from the District Municipality of Muskoka will be hosting a W.I.S.E. Clubhouse on Friday, October 9th at the Ryde Community Co-op from 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm. A light lunch will be provided, free of charge. Come out to hear about home maintenance. If you have any suggestions for speakers, please contact us. If you are seeking information on services available to seniors, please contact Joan Clifford or Susan Ward.
The Co-op is no longer able to accept donations of books. We understand that the Salvation Army store in Gravenhurst is accepting them however and ask that you take your donations there instead. Books currently at the Co-op are being relocated and some will still be available at Summerland General Store.
Our thanks to Vesey’s Bulbs for sending us four dozen tulip and daffodil bulbs for the Firehall and Co-op gardens. We had applied for a grant for a Dutch-Canadian Friendship Tulip garden. Although we didn’t win, Vesey’s sent us a consolation prize!
Holy Manger Anglican Church
- Services will be held on the first and third Sunday of each month at 1 pm.
Ryde Free Methodist Church
- Pot Luck Lunch Oct. 4th, following the worship service for World Wide Communion Sunday. Service at 11 am, Pot Luck at 12 noonish. Come for one or both events.
- Operation Christmas Child Shoe Boxes We have the boxes here (and more are on the way), including directions on what goes into one of these. This event, sponsored by Samaritan’s Purse, Canada, has a national collection date of Nov. 16th – 20th. We need all shoe boxes back here at Ryde Centennial Free Methodist Church by Sun., Nov. 15th by 12 noon. These boxes MUST NOT have any foodstuffs, gum, or candy, due to customs regulations in the receiving countries.
Summerland General Store
- The September monthly $20 food basket order is due in cash on Sept. 29th at 9 am and picked up on October 8th. Bring boxes or bags.
- Note: The Ryde Co-op will be closed on Thanksgiving Day – October 12th
- Bid Euchre – Every Wednesday at the RCC from 1 pm.
- VON SMART Exercise program – Every Monday & Wednesday starting at 9:30 am.
- Tai Chi and Qigong – Thursdays – 10:30 – 11:30 am – $2 Note: The Oct. 15th class will be meeting at 3:30 following the Meet the Needs program.
- Music – Ryde’s Homemade Jam – First Saturday of the month at 7 pm. Membership required. Family event. Fee: Donation
- Ryde Display at the Summit Centre in Huntsville – 19th to Nov. 17th
- WISE Seniors’ Clubhouse – Oct. 9th from 12:30 – 2:30 pm. Free lunch will be provided.
- Internet Café Biweekly – Oct. 26th & Nov. 9th – 10:30 – 1:30 pm – $2
- Meet The Needs Day #3 – Oct. 15th – 10 am to 2 pm – enjoy a free lunch!
- Oktoberfest Dinner – Oct. 17th –Tickets at Summerland until Oct. 15th – 5:30 pm. $10 members
- Federal Election October 19th – the Ryde Co-op is the Polling Station for this community.
- Monthly Soup & Sandwich Lunch on second Sunday starting Nov. 8th – 12 noon – $5/person
The Ryder was brought to you this month by:
Mary Brittain, Muskoka Seniors
Please click image to enlarge.