Archive for July, 2016
Enabling Accessibility Renovations Complete!
A big thank you goes out to Kevin Doucette and his team at Timber Muskoka, for their hard work in completing the renovation work at the Co-op and to Duncan Ross for the architectural drawings and support. As well, we would like to thank John Livingston of Dulux Paint in Barrie, Micky at Gravenhurst Paint and Living Lighting, Ian Coombes at Home Building Centre, Bill Ballegeer (lintel and handrail fabrication), and the Government of Canada, which made the funding available. For this grant, the Co-op had to come up with 1/3 of the cost in cash and in-kind labour. Fortunately, we had an amazing crew of volunteers who pitched in with hours and hours of work doing demolition, planning, painting and so much more. Thanks to Amy, Diane, Rick, Richard, Bruce, Ivan, Donna, Joan, Evelyn, Hannah, Judy and Doug for making it all possible!
BBQ, Turtles, Dedication and Town Council Meeting
On Tuesday July 19th at 5:30, the Ryde Co-op is pleased to host Mayor Paisley Donaldson, town staff and the council for their regular annual meeting in Ryde. This evening will be extra special, as we will be dedicating our dining/community room to Terence Haight. You will remember that the Town generously donated $25,000 from the Terence Haight Fund towards the purchase of our building. There will be a ceremony featuring Town Crier Bruce Kruger and Piper Fred Schulz. Don’t miss this exciting event! As well, START Muskoka will be bringing a display of turtles and there will be a BBQ supper available. No advance tickets are required for this meal. The dedication will happen around 6:45 and the council meeting will follow. The BBQ is $10 per person. Remember to bring your dishes, cutlery and cups! If it is nice weather, we plan to eat outdoors – bring a folding chair if you can so you have something to sit on.
Washroom Facilities at Bass Lake
Our pRyde in Ryde took a blow when we heard that the washrooms at Bass Lake had been vandalized. Ryde Co-op to the rescue! Donna, Bob, Judy and Doug worked in co-operation with the Town to repaint the washrooms. We don’t want to stop there though; we foresee some community art on those solid block walls. Watch for some awesome decorations to appear! In the meantime, please call 911 or Crime Stoppers1-800-222-8477 to report any suspicious activity in our community.
We are well into our first year of ownership of our building. With the completed accessibility renovations, we look forward to continued growth and an exciting future. We have so much potential to continue to serve as a model of what a rural community hub can do. Our community shines when it pulls together toward a common goal. We proved that when we purchased our building.
We must not forget that we do make the first mortgage payment at the end of January, ($20,000 plus interest). Now that the dust has settled (literally!) we must put the focus back on fundraising. We are so fortunate to have friends near and far. The alumni group is mobilizing to raise funds and your new Board is making plans as well. The Town of Gravenhurst will still issue charitable receipts while we wait for our own charitable number. Please help us Ryde to the Future!
July Fresh Food Baskets
Take advantage of the Fresh Food Basket program offered through the District of Muskoka with the support of Carrie and Ron at the Summerland Store. Please drop off your $20 (cash only) to the Blue Store before 10 am on Tuesday, July 5th. Pick up will be on Thursday, July 14th. For a downloadable calendar please follow this link: Fresh Food Basket Ryde 2016
WISE Clubhouse for Seniors
The District of Muskoka invites seniors to join them for a Summer Social Picnic on July 8th from 12:30 until 2:30 pm! This is a great free program with a healthy lunch included. If you have any questions or suggestions for speakers, please contact Lindsay at 705-645-4488 ext. 444.
VON SMART Fitness Classes
Yes, we will be continuing Mondays and Wednesdays starting at 9:30 am through the summer! Our friendly group of active seniors always welcomes new members. We welcome our newest volunteer instructor, Janet Wilcox! SMART is a balanced and tested, safe and effective program that gets results! Free for those 55 and over thanks to funding from the local LHIN and the VON, and sponsored by the Ryde Co-op.
Heritage Day Is Coming!
The Heritage Day Committee is hard at work to plan a wonderful family event. Our line-up of displays and vendors is growing. Make sure to put this on your calendar and invite everyone to take part in the fun!
We will have music by Cruise N Country, BBQ, a live vintage steam engine, horse and carriage rides, Moose FM, KidZone, vintage vehicles and much more! If you are a vendor who would like to set up a table ($25), please call Tracy Barkshire for a form at 705-715-1500 or email Tracey. Also let Tracy know if you would like to display your vintage vehicles.
The Daisy Awards are Coming!
There are so many beautiful properties in Ryde! Let’s show our pRyde and nominate our neighbours for a Daisy Award. Nomination forms are available now on the Town website, or follow this link: http://bit.ly/1HpYzgt . Judging takes place on July 20th rain or shine!
International Co-operative Day July 2nd
“The power to act for a sustainable future” As a registered co-op, Ryde supports the goals of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development goals. Co-ops foster democracy, practise social inclusion and operate with concern for the environment. Happy Co-op Day!
Memorial for Thomas Draper
A memorial for Thomas Draper will be held on July 23rd from 1pm – 4pm at 1136 Merkley Rd. Lunch included. For more info, please call John at 705-826-8357
- Bid Euchre – Every Wednesday at the RCC from 1 pm.
- VON SMART Exercise program – Every Monday & Wednesday starting at 9:30 am.
- Tai Chi and Qigong – Thursdays – 10:30 – 11:30 am – $2
- WISE Seniors’ Clubhouse – July 8th from 12:30 – 2:30 pm. Free picnic lunch will be provided.
- Annual BBQ and Council Meeting in Ryde – July 19th – $10/person for BBQ – 5:30 pm – meeting at 7 pm
- Heritage Day – Aug. 20th – Volunteer help needed!
- Ryde-A-Palooza Alumni Event Saturday, Sept. 10th
- Meet the Needs Day 4 – Thursday, Sept. 15th from 10 – 2 pm
- Clean out Your Cottage Garage Sale – Saturday, Sep. 17th – 7 till noon
- Culture Days Events:
- Friday, Sept. 30th – knitting at Summerland General
- Saturday, Oct. 1st – Barn Quilt Trail
- Sunday, Oct. 2nd – Seed Exchange at the Co-op
- Christmas Bazaar – Nov. 13th
- Progressive Dinner – Nov. 26th
Holy Manger Anglican Church
- Services will be held on the first & third Sunday of each month at 1 pm
Ryde Free Methodist Church
- Sunday School and Youth Group has ended for the summer.
- We are closing Sunday, July 24, so all can have an opportunity to attend the service at Severn Bridge Family Camp
- July 10, 2:30 PM: Annual Memorial Service in memory of those buried at Cooper’s Falls Free Methodist Cemetery. Please let others know who might have loved ones buried there. The offering will go towards the maintenance of the grounds.
- July 15-24: Severn Bridge Free Methodist Family Camp is on. Activities for all. Bible study mornings, evening services, meals available on the grounds or bring your own. Camping available. Please see their website for information.
Summerland General Store
- The June monthly $20 food basket order is due in cash on July 5th at 9 am and picked up on June 14th. Bring boxes or bags.
The Ryder was brought to you this month by:
Terry Pilger – Remax
Please click image to enlarge
Please click image to enlarge