Archive for September, 2017
Tim Horton’s SMILE Cookies This could be one of our biggest fundraisers ever!
The Ryde Co-op has been selected as the recipient of the funds from SMILE week, September 11 to 17. Available at Tim Hortons on Talisman Dr (in town) and on Hwy 11 South Gravenhurst. It is vital that we encourage everyone we know to purchase cookies because all of the money raised goes to our Co-op! Please spread the word! Bulk cookie order forms can be obtained from any Board member, or at Scotiabank in Gravenhurst.
Meet the Needs Day-Friday, September 15 -10 until 2
Thanks to funding from the Senior’s Secretariat through the OACAO, we are pleased to announce our 5th annual Senior’s Fair. This event is entirely free and features great speakers, displays, door prizes and a free lunch! Everyone is welcome (not just seniors) and no pre-registration is necessary. Also thanks to a grant from Shopper’s Drug Mart, we will be able to offer Foot Care and Blood Pressure Cafes at a reduced rate. Learn more at our Meet the Needs Seniors’ Fair on September 15.
Clean out the Cottage Garage Sale – Saturday, September 23 from 7 am to Noon.
Save those surplus treasures for our Fall garage sale! Donations gratefully accepted on Friday, September 22, from 1-5.
Co-op Bottle Drive -Saturday, September 30
Save those empties for a good cause! Bring your empties to the Co-op Saturday morning between 9 and noon. The Ride for Refuge will also be taking place on this date, so please watch for (and cheer on) the cyclists.
- Our new Board member, Lars B. D. Kristjansen. A professor of Automation and Robotics at Humber College, brings valuable experience with not-for-profit governance, and a wealth of enthusiasm. He says, “I believe that when members of a community participate together to empower one another, individual’s personal and unique talents can fulfill their true purpose.”
- Our newest Ryder sponsor, Kubota North! Drop in and visit their fine showroom at 1677 Winhara Rd.
- Pastor Tim Richards, his wife Melanie and their children to Ryde Free Methodist Church!
Raise the Roof Raffle
We are having our first ever raffle, with three great prizes! All proceeds will go to our building campaign. Tickets are only $5 each, and are available at Scotiabank in Gravenhurst. The draw will be held at our fund-raising dinner on Saturday, November 25. Can you help out by selling a book of tickets? Please contact any Board member.
Ryde’s Heritage Day
Thanks to everyone who helped with Ryde’s Heritage Day: sponsors, volunteers, displays, vendors, and most of all, those who came out to enjoy the fun! Preliminary calculations at press time indicate that we made over $1400 for the Co-op! Thanks to Cruise n’ Country for their great music, sponsors Riverside Rentals, Blooming Muskoka, Terry Pilger, AAAA Sanitation, Foodland Ontario, Frank Cooper Construction, Muskoka Carpet, Gidley Insurance, Sofa Communications, Scotiabank in Gravenhurst, and Hammond Transportation Ltd . Thanks to Home Building Centre Gravenhurst, Wayne’s Tire Discounter, Town of Gravenhurst, Gravenhurst Fire Department, Muskoka Springs, Muskoka Brewery, Saving Turtles at Risk Today – START, Muskoka Steamships & Discovery Centre Kid Zone, Muskoka Sea Flea and Master Movers & Storage. Vendors included Sherrie Pilger, Christina Irwin and Jennifer Daoust of Tote Bags 4 U. Volunteers and helpers included Kayla Lloyd, Jill, Spike, and Tracy Lynn Barkshire, Peggie Beattie, Diane Bradley, Doug and Judy Campbell, Joan Clifford, Louise Cooper, Myron Cooper, Willa Cooper, Mike Crosby, Gail Dalziel, Derek, Diane Duffy, Rebecca Fitchett, Jonny Godfrey, Barb Hallet, Jan Havenaar, Linda Hearne, Richard Hearne, Amy Heighington, Lois Irwin, Bill Irwin, Gerrard Newman, Janice Masters, Janet Merkley, Blair Merkley, Anne Myshok, Jennie and Rick Nice, Larry Peck, Lois Park, Ben Peters, Brian Robertson, Janis and Wes Ryan, Jennifer Paterson Sanderson, Jim Sanderson, Bruce Stephenson, Louise Taverner, Andrew Taylor, Barb Taylor, Chris Taylor, Sue Ward, Joanne Washburn and Dallas Yule. Some names may have accidentally been omitted. Please inform a board member if we forgot you! You can see from this list what an awesome community we live in!
$20 due to Summerland General Store by 9 am Tuesday, September 5; pick up day Thursday, September 14. Note: Orders for October Thanksgiving basket must be placed by Thursday, September 26 for pick up on Thursday, October 5.
Early Years at Ryde Co-op?
We are investigating whether there might be enough interest in having the District of Muskoka bring their free Early Years program to the Co-op. We would need to present a strong case with a commitment from parents and caregivers of children 0-6 years of age. Please call Katrina Langtree at 705-687-0008 if you are interested.
Ryde into Winter Fundraising Dinner
A wonderful team of volunteers is hard at work planning a fantastic gala event for Saturday, November 25. $60 per person. Tickets will be available Oct 1
WISE Senior’s Clubhouse -Friday, September 1 at 12:30pm
Theme is Broadway and the special guest is Diane Baranik with a presentation on balance boards and a free lunch. For info call Nancy Gosse at 705-645-2100.
To Barkway’s Sue Duncan, who really does have the Top Dog! Take it to the Moon Alice, (Allie) won a champion title at the District of Muskoka Kennel Club’s CKC show with handler Sherrie Pilger. Visit Sue at her new location at 365 Bethune Dr. N. Unit B, Lester Square Mall.
- Bid Euchre – Every Wed at the Co-op from 1pm.
- VON SMART Exercise program – Every Monday & Wednesday starting at 9:30am. Note : no class Mon Sept 4th
- WISE Seniors’ Clubhouse – Friday Sept 1st 12:30- 2pm & Oct 6th
- Tai Chi and Qigong – Thurs 10:30 – 11:30am – $2
- Ryde Knitters and Hookers – Fridays at Summerland – 10am – $2
- Raffle – Get your tickets for the wonderful prizes – tickets $5 ea
- Board Meeting – Mon, Sept 25th at 10:30 am at the Co-op
- Meet the Needs Seniors Fair-Fri, Sept 15, 10am – 5pm – free lunch and great displays-everyone welcome
- Tim Hortons SMILE Day – Sept 11th – 17th. Proceeds going to the Co-op
- Co-op Bottle Drive-Sat, Sept 30.
- Diabetes Clinic – Wed Oct 18th 9am-1pm 705-325-7611 to register
- Octoberfest Dinner – Sat. Oct 21st 5:30pm
- Fundraising Dinner – Sat, Nov 25th
- Holy Manger Anglican Church
1st and 3rd Sunday of each month at 1 pm.
- Summerland General Store
September monthly $20 food basket is due Tues 5th by 9 am and picked up on Thurs 14th. Download schedule here: http://bit.ly/2vKbXz6
- Ryde Centennial Free Methodist Church
The congregation is happy to introduce Rev. Timothy Richards, daughter Kelsey, son Ben and his wife Melanie. Welcome to Ryde Township, Richards family! Everyone is invited and welcomed at Ryde Centennial Free Methodist Church Sunday mornings, 11:00 AM. Please watch for the announcement about Sunday school starting.
Your sponsor for September