The Ryder for February 2017
We want to share some very happy birthday news with you. On the first anniversary of our building purchase, made our mortgage payments in full. We owed $15,000 plus interest to a private individual, and $5,000 plus interest to the Town of Gravenhurst. Going forward, we will owe $5,000 plus interest to the Town of Gravenhurst for the next four years. This happened because of our community’s hard work and generosity. Everyone’s support, through donations, memberships, and attending our events has carried us this far.
Our goals for 2017 include meeting our obligations; bills for hydro, insurance, fees and other day-to-day expenses are on-going. We also need to focus on improvements to the building to protect our investment. We want to build our Ryde to the Future account. Grants will come available this year, but many of them require that we put up 20-25% of the funding ourselves. For large, but necessary projects like a new roof, new windows and a heating/cooling system, this is a big chunk of money. We will therefore be looking at serious fund-raising events.
Pot Luck Dinner – Saturday, February 25th at 5:30
We invite you to prepare your favourite dish, which will serve at least four, and bring it to the Co-op for an old fashioned Pot Luck. We will be charging $5 at the door to cover beverages and overhead. Please note that this is members only event, but memberships are available at the door. If you are willing to bake a birthday cake for this event, contact a Board member.
NIA Classes Coming to Ryde! Starts March 28th on Tuesdays
The Seniors Programs and Services department of the District of Muskoka: They are bringing us free NIA classes for older adults! NIA is a popular form of gentle exercise that incorporates dance, martial arts and meditation. It is suitable and adaptable for all ability groups.
Classes run for ten sessions on Tuesdays from 10 until 11 am, begins on March 28th. In order to run the course, we will need at least eight members to register. If you are interested, please watch for registration instructions coming soon. For more information, call Emily at 705-645-2412 ext. 199.
Announcement: Diabetes and Wellness Clinic! Wednesday, April 19th 10:30am
It is so rewarding when outside agencies recognize and support what we are trying to accomplish for our residents. As a direct result of our outreach, we have been offered a wonderful free program to promote wellness in our community. The Adult Diabetes Education Centre from the Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital is offering one on one counselling with a dietitian and nurse for people with diabetes and those at risk for diabetes. After VON SMART, a free healthy cooking class will be held. This program is available for all adult residents and is presented by the OSMH and the North Muskoka Nurse Practitioner led Clinic in Huntsville. This is a pilot program and needs your support to continue. The plan is to offer the clinic four times a year. More information will be available in the next Ryder.
- The Gravenhurst Legion, Sawdust City, Sofa Communication, and Dave Cruise of Cruise Car Sales, donated space, product and talent for our Birthday Bash Dance attempt. We appreciate their generosity.
- Cliff Fitchett did an emergency repair of our water filtration system to keep the taps open!
- Ron Hummel does a fantastic job of keeping the driveway at the Co-op plowed and sanded so that we can safely access the building during the winter. He is still accepting new customers and can be reached at 705-684-9710 or 705-644-1731.
- Suzanne Hummel is our hard-working custodian, who keeps the building clean and polished. She is available for cleaning and de- cluttering jobs at $10 per hour. Suzanne is also our Senior Community Advisor, our liaison with the District of Muskoka’s Seniors Services Outreach. Contact her at 705-205-3718.
- Thank you to Mr. Traynor for donations to our bottle drive.
- A big thank you to Anne, Janet and Doug for work on our museum.
Board of Directors
There are a minimum of two openings on our Board; we have an exciting year ahead with some responsibilities and opportunities. We are always alert to grant and funding agencies that will benefit us, we need to update our bylaws, and we look to growth planning. Where will the future take us? Step up and serve and be part of the process!
Call for Committee Members:
As you know, we are an entirely volunteer-run organization. We are very proud of what we have been able to accomplish over the years, including purchasing our building, running successful Heritage Days, bringing in new programs, lobbying for our residents and creating our beautiful Barn Quilt Trail. Our strength is in our generous and hard-working volunteers. Will you consider joining our ranks this year?
- Canada’s 150/Heritage Day Committee
This is a big year for our country! We need to make our Heritage Day celebration extra special. Will you consider joining our Heritage Day Committee this year?
- Fundraising Committee
Now that we have our lottery license, we can apply to run raffles and 50/50 draws. This is a great opportunity to raise money for targeted projects: a new roof? Windows? We are allowed to raise 50% towards a capital improvement through lotteries.
A small group took on the organization of the recent fundraising dinner that raised over $2,500! We know that we have many talented and creative people out there. We can’t wait to hear your ideas! If you are interested in joining any or all of these committees, please contact any Board member.
SMART and Tai Chi
Make your New Year’s Resolution to come on out and join our fitness classes. These are offered by trained volunteers and provide not only a great workout, but a social time as well. Please note that there will be no classes if the school buses are cancelled due to weather and that there will be no SMART class on Monday, February 20, Family Day.
WISE Senior’s Clubhouse- Friday, February 3rd -12:30-2:30pm
The District of Muskoka’s WISE Clubhouse for Seniors offers a great program and a free lunch! This month will feature Art and Calligraphy with artist Diannah Benson. Everyone is welcome! For more information, please call Emily at 705-645-2412 ext. 199.
Barn Quilt Trail Included in Winter Carnival!
This year our Co-op will be a sponsor of the Gravenhurst Winter Carnival. Our beautiful quilts will be featured in tours offered on Sunday, February 26. Check out the Carnival brochures for details.
Just a reminder to keep an eye out for suspicious activity. Items were stolen in the Germania Rd area. A lime green Arctic Cat 2016 ATV & 2 dirt bikes.
- Bid Euchre – Every Wednesday At the RCC from 1pm.
- VON SMART Exercise program – Every Monday & Wednesday starting at 9:30 am. Note: in the event of school bus cancellations, there will be no SMART classes held that day.
- WISE Seniors’ Clubhouse – February 3rd from 12:30 – 2:30pm. $3/person
- Tai Chi and Qigong – Thursdays 10:30 – 11:30 am – $2
- Ryde Knitters and Hookers – Fridays at Summerland – 10 am – $2
- Pot Luck Dinner – Sat. Feb, 25th at 5:30 – $5
- Sustainability Workshops: ~Sunday, March 13: Digital Photography with Fred Schulz ~Sunday, April 2: Hemp with Greg Harriet~ Sunday April 9th: Herbal Remedies for Pets with Penelope Beaudrow
~ TBA: Year Round Gardening with Colin Sober-Wiliams
NIA Exercise Classes – 10 sessions on Tuesdays – starts March 28th – 10 – 11am
- Diabetes and Wellness Clinic – Wed April 19th
Holy Manger Anglican Church
- February 5th at 1 pm and thereafter to end April the 1st Sunday of each month at 1 pm.
Ryde Free Methodist Church
- Weather permitting, the annual winter picnic and tobogganing party will be held on Sunday Feb 12th at 2:30pm meet at 1586 Barkway Rd. Dress appropriately and bring your sleds. Call 705-687- 3005 if you plan to attend.
Summerland General Store
- The February monthly $20 food basket is due Feb. 7th at 9 am and picked up on Feb. 23rd. Download schedule click here. (Please note that the pick-up date is a change from the original schedule).
- Spaghetti Dinner at Summerland – Wednesdays at 5 pm
The Ryder was brought to you this month by:
Ryde Centennial Free Methodist Church