The Ryder for March 2017
Spring Brings New Programs and Opportunities at the Co-op!
Your Board of Directors is small in number but huge in ambition. We are very proud to be expanding our programs with the help of some wonderful community partners and individuals. Please support our free and low-cost classes.
NIA Classes Coming to Ryde! Begins Tuesday, March 28th 10am
We received some exciting news from the Seniors Programs and Services department of the District of Muskoka: They are going to bring us free NIA classes for older adults! NIA is a very popular form of gentle exercise that incorporates dance, martial arts and meditation. It is suitable and adaptable for all ability groups. Classes will run for ten sessions on Tuesdays from 10 until 11 am, beginning on March 28. Space is limited to 20 participants. To register, please call Emily at 705-645-2412 ext. 199.
Chili Dinner- Saturday, March 25 at 5:30pm
Join us for a lovely Chili dinner served with garlic bread, salad and a pecan butter tart!! Where else can you get such a comforting meal, and help support your co-op too! Tickets will be available until March 23 at the Summerland Store. Prices are $10 for members and $15 for non-members.
Communities in Bloom
The Town of Gravenhurst is entering the
National Communities in Bloom competition as part of our celebration for Canada’s 150th birthday. Let’s pitch in with a strong showing in Ryde. We have our display of tulips to look forward to. Do you have plans to create a garden showpiece for this summer? Take lots of pictures, as the Town will be creating a book and we want Ryde to be in it!
On our garden, we will need some volunteers to pitch in to beautify the grounds around the Co-op this Spring. If you would like to organize a work crew, please contact any director.
Diabetes and Wellness Clinic – Wednesday, April 19, 10:30am
The Adult Diabetes Education Centre from the Orillia Soldiers Memorial
Hospital will be offering free one on one counselling with a dietitian and nurse for
people with diabetes and also for those at risk for diabetes. On the same morning, after VON SMART exercise. Also a free healthy cooking class will be held, where a group meal will be prepared and enjoyed. This program is available for all adult residents and is presented by the OSMH and the North Muskoka Nurse Practitioner led Clinic in Huntsville. Make a day of it and stay for Bid Euchre after lunch!
This is a pilot program and needs your support to continue. The plan is to offer the clinic four times a year.
SMART and Tai Chi
Make your New Year’s Resolution to come on out and join our fitness classes. These are offered by trained volunteers and
provide not only a great workout, but a social time as well. Please note that there will be no classes if the school buses are cancelled due to weather.
WISE Senior’s Clubhouse- Friday, March 3rd – 12:30-2:30pm
The District of Muskoka’s WISE Clubhouse for Seniors offers a great program and a free lunch! This month will feature a representative from the
Alzheimer’s Society. Everyone is welcome! For more information, please call Emily at 705-645-2412 ext. 199.
Sustainability Workshops Return to Ryde
We have a great line-up of wonderful speakers for you. Each workshop is offered on a Sunday from 1:00 pm until 3pm. Admission is $15 for members of the Ryde Co-op and $25 for non-members. Membership for the Co-op is $10 per year. You do not need to live in Ryde to be a member! Call 705-687-2406 to register.
- Basic Digital Photography – Sunday, March 12 from 1 until 3pm
Fred Schulz, a local Photographer, will focus on the basic operation of Digital Cameras with both point-and-shoot and more advance Digital Cameras. Areas to be covered will include fundamentals of composition to create more interesting photographs, lighting, exposure, portraiture and use of flash. Basic digital camera techniques will be practiced and discussed.
- Year Round Gardening Sunday, March 26 from 1 until 3pm
Colin Sober-Williams a local farmer and innovator, and founder of Eat Local Muskoka.He will teach us, cold tunnel and cold frame design, indoor Sprouting and Microgreens, panting dates, and best varieties for season extension, overwintering crops in the field, storage crops and how to keep these fresh in your basement or root cellar.
- The Many Uses of Hemp – Sunday, April 2 from 1 until 3pm
Greg Herriott has 24 years of experience in pioneering the industrial hemp and medical cannabis industries in Canada. He launched Hempola® in 1995, after two intense years of research. Greg Herriott will discuss the many virtues of hemp, covering topics ranging from food, to bio-fuel, to fibre, to medicine. He will also describe his view to the future and how cannabis will play its role.
- Herbal Remedies for Your Pets and Livestock Sunday – April 9 from 1 until 3pm
Penelope Beaudrow a certified herbalist, will discuss how to incorporate herbs into the lives of pets. Whether for an illness, cuts and scrapes, fly spray, fleas and/or even to line your nesting boxes, herbs work amazingly for all types of animals. Whether your pet is a dog, cat, mouse, bunny, goat, sheep, horse or cow (to name a few), herbs will be a real asset in your home apothecary. Level – Beginner
- Bid Euchre – Every Wednesday at the RCC from 1pm.
- VON SMART Exercise program – Every Monday & Wednesday starting at 9:30 am. Note: in the event of school bus cancellations, there will be no SMART classes held that day.
- WISE Seniors’ Clubhouse – March 3rd from 12:30 – 2:30pm. $3/person
- Tai Chi and Qigong – Thursdays 10:30 – 11:30 am – $2
- Ryde Knitters and Hookers – Fridays at Summerland – 10 am – $2
- Chili Dinner — Saturday, March 25th at 5:30pm
- Sustainability Workshops:
- Sunday, March 12th: Digital Photography with Fred Schulz
- Sunday March 26th: Year Round Gardening with Colin Sober-Wiliams
- Sunday, April 2nd: Hemp with Greg Harriet
- Sunday April 9th: Herbal Remedies for Pets with Penelope Beaudrow
- NIA Exercise Classes – 10 sessions on Tuesdays – starts March 28th – 10 – 11am
- Diabetes and Wellness Clinic – Wed April 19th—10:30am
- Garage Sale— Saturday May 5th
- AGM— Saturday May 5th
- Holy Manger Anglican Church
- March 5th at 1 pm and thereafter to end April the 1st Sunday of each month at 1 pm.
- Summerland General Store
- The March monthly $20 food basket is due March 7th at 9 am and picked up on March 16th. Download schedule here: Click Here
- Spaghetti Dinner at Summerland – Wednesdays at 5pm
The Ryder was brought to you this month by: